MOAB, UT, June 26, 2014 – Children as young as five can be introduced to an active, adventurous lifestyle with such recreational activities as rafting and rock climbing through the guide and outfitting services of Utah’s Moab Adventure Center http://www.moabadventurecenter.com/, hub of a natural playground surrounded by snowcapped mountains, red rock canyons and two national parks.
Jamie Pearce manages the Moab Adventure Center, conveniently located at 225 South Main Street in downtown Moab. Here families may consult with regional specialists about where and how to engage their children during a visit, book a tour and get recommendations on area lodgings and restaurants. They can also pick up any last minute gear and equipment at the center’s outdoor store.
“Every year, Moab seems to be getting more and more family friendly,” says Pearce about the wide range of tours and activities that are now geared for younger ages. “Visitors are pleasantly surprised by how many cool things there are now to do with kids and teens.” Below are her team’s Top Ten Things to Do with Kids in Moab.
1. Rock Climb (minimum age 5): Expert guides teach experienced climbers and novices how to climb and rappel down Moab sandstone. http://www.moabadventurecenter.com/trips/rock-climbing/basic-climbing.php
2. Hike up a Creek: Looking for a cooler activity in the heat of day? Kids can blow off steam in the stream bed of a shadowed canyon on a five-mile out-and-back hike in Negro Bill Canyon off of Scenic Byway 128. http://www.utahredrocks.com/hike_negro_bill.htm
3. Discover Dinosaur Tracks and Petroglyphs on Potash Road: Head up Highway 279 (Potash Road) about 15 minutes from Moab for spectacular views of Native American Petroglyphs etched into rock. Go a little farther for Dinosaur Tracks! (For more about dinosaurs, check out the Mill Canyon Dinosaur Trail). http://www.americansouthwest.net/utah/potash-road/index.html
4. Earn Junior Ranger Badges at National Parks: Both Arches and Canyonlands National Parks offer free Junior Ranger programs and booklets. Youngsters who complete five activities and exercises receive an official badge and certificate!
5. Glide on a Hummer Slickrock Safari (minimum age 3): This is a slow ride that can feel like being on a roller coaster on the sandstone hills on Moab’s popular Hell’s Revenge trail. This activity is safe enough for little ones and wild enough for the cool kids. http://www.moabadventurecenter.com/trips/hummer/slickrock.php
6. Raft the Colorado River (minimum age 5): Families take on playful class I and II rapids in a 16-foot paddle boat with the option to try a hand at paddling a two-person inflatable kayak. http://www.moabadventurecenter.com/trips/rafting/pm.php
7. Weave through Fisher Towers: Ever wanted to explore Mars? The scenic Fisher Towers hike off of Highway 128 lets kids weave in and out of red rock spires and castles with scenic views of the Colorado River in the distance. http://www.discovermoab.com/pdf/fishertowers.pdf
8. Tackle a High Ropes Course: Ages 6 and up (minimum height 4 feet) can scramble up a uniquely crafted climbing wall, climb a giant cargo net, ride a skateboard zipline, walk a 25-foot balance beam, and tons more. http://www.moabadventurecenter.com/trips/ropes-course-moab-utah/high-ropes-challenge-course.php
9. MoabRecreation and Aquatic Center: It’s not a vacation for the kids if there’s not a pool. This swimming pool has slides, short diving boards, and, best of all, an indoor pool out of the heat! http://moabrecreation.com/index.aspx?NID=112
10. Making Music and More: Located five minutes from downtown Moab at 680 Millcreek Drive, the Music Park is a must for amateur musicians of all ages. Industrial materials have been shaped into eclectic musical instruments—a one-of-a-kind experience! http://freenotesharmonypark.com/blog/2010/05/21/musical-playground-rotary-park-moab-utah/. And when it’s just time to sit down, Moab Backyard Theater offersmagic shows, jazz and bluegrass music, and Western movie nights! http://www.moabbackyardtheater.com/
Through the Moab Adventure Center families may combine half, full and multiple-day activities in the Moab region. There’s a 10 percent discount when combining three or more full- or half-day activities in a package.
MoabAdventure Centercan also arrange a variety of basic-to-luxury lodging options and suggest family-friendly dining venues.
About Moab Adventure Center
MoabAdventure Center is a division of Western River Expeditions (http://www.westernriver.com/), an adventure travel company headquartered in Salt Lake City, with operations and offices in Moab, Utah and Fredonia, Arizona. The company is the largest single tour provider in Moab, UT. Its programs are available from March through October.
The Moab Adventure Center is located at 225 South Main Street, Moab, Utah 84532. For information and reservations please call (435) 259-7019 or (866) 904-1163 or send an email from http://www.moabadventurecenter.com/contact/. The center also has a 2,000-square-foot retail space selling adventure related gear and clothing as well as souvenirs.
# # #
For media inquiries, interviews and photos please contact Widness & Wiggins PR:
Website and portfolio of past releases: http://www.travelnewssource.com/
FollowMoab Adventure Center:
On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MoabAdventureCenter
On Twitter: https://twitter.com/MoabAdventure
On You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/moabadventurecenter